Life...&...Failure

Living life in my own way...
A "Way" that leads to success and to failure.
But "FAILURE IS NEVER AN OPTION".

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Reduce Your Carbon Footprint: My Ways Of Keeping My Bathroom Green

My bathroom is green. The floor of my bathroom is made up of recycled tiles. These tiles are made up of waste glass from windows, mirrors, bottles, jars etc. They also contain some non-toxic and non-hazardous industrial wastes such as special clays, feldspar, granite dust, sand, and silica. During the laying of these tiles I ensured the use of non-toxic sealers.

The toilet is well lighted as I have two large skylights. And for the light at night I have installed compact fluorescent bulbs. A lot of power is saved that way.

I have taken a lot of care in saving water in my bathroom. There is a dual flush toilet installed and also some low flow water faucets in the basins. And my habits are also green. I do not keep the tap open while I shave and brush the teeth. The shower head is also low flow one. But the best thing that I do is that i take shorter showers. The water drain from the bathroom has been diverted to use the waste water in the garden. And the best advice from me is to put a sealed bottle inside the flush so that less water is wasted.

To talk of the shower curtains: I have done away with the plastic curtains and instead use linen curtains. Also I make the least use of toilet paper. And the paper that I use is recycled.

My bathroom is clean and I use some green methods to clean them. I do not use the toxic detergents and the disinfectants. I use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning my bathroom and at the same time I use the soaps instead of the detergents.

After bathing I use the lemon water to rinse the body after taking the shower. It acts as a good deodorizer. And at times for heavy deodorizing effect I use orange peel powder. I use soaps instead of using bath gels and shampoos as they are economical in the sense that less of soap will have the same effect as more amount of gels and shampoos. I avoid using the anti-bacterial soaps as they contain triclosan which is an endocrine disruptor. Also it reacts with sunlight to produce dioxin, a highly carcinogenic and toxic family of compounds, and can react with the chlorine in our drinking water to form chloroform gas, a probably human carcinogen. I avoid heavily packaged products and I prefer to buy the local made products wherever possible because they consume less energy during transportation.

For the water heating purposes I have tank less water heaters in my bathroom. They are very green indeed. They consume less electricity. Also in addition to that they take less space and they have very less waiting time - doesn't it sounds beneficial for those cold winter mornings!

And my interiors of the bathroom are colored white and there are many reflecting surfaces, four mirrors in it. Well this is for the fact that my low power light source does the same work that a higher powered bulb would do in a conventional bathroom.

The pipes that I use for the drains are not of PVC but instead I use the cast iron pipes. They are greener and at the same time do not give out harmful toxins into the water. Also they have recycle value.

Also more importantly I regularly check the water pipes and the drainage pipes so that there are no leaky end and joints - as small things count!

No comments:

Post a Comment